Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Playing for keeps

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal"

So, I want to apologize for my lack of dedication at keeping this blog up, but I have been pretty busy attempting to conquer the world :) It was interesting reading my last blog; I've been so caught up in life that I completely forgot about those things that were bothering me.
I've learned a lot in my ripe old age of 3 months in the real world. First of all, its incredibly easy to get discouraged when I am floating around without a real purpose or goal. I don't have to have my life plan, but I am a much happier camper when I am focused in on something and am going after it.

It took me a while to gain my footing in the working world and figure out what I wanted, but a while back I got the idea in my head of where I wanted to go for my next rotation. I honestly didn't think it was possible to get where I wanted. I knew the odds were against it, and for the most part they looked for more technical people for the few opportunities that were available. So I focused on networking in the area, with the ambition that maybe someday after the rotation I would be able to work there. It all started with an incredibly nice favor from a complete stranger. He is way high up in the company but offered to tour me around and then introduce me to a few other important people. Then those people gave me names of a few other people to contact, and eventually, I found someone who liked me enough that he convinced someone else to take me on. All because one person one nice enough to help some young whipper snapper out :)

I think the most valuable lesson I've learned is that a lot of times all I have to do in order to achieve what I want is ask. Of course, it takes a lot of hard work and making good impressions as well, and a bit of luck :)

I am incredibly excited and nervous to see what the rest of this year and the next bring. I know that I am getting these opportunities becaus people see potential in me, and I definitely don't want to let them down or make them regret giving me this opportunity. I am mostly excited though because it is such an awesome opportunity. I also don't want to settle hear. One of the past mistakse I've made is stopping when I reach one goal, or setting my goal to low. This is awesome, but before I know I'll have to start thinking about what will happen next. I have an idea, but it will be even more challenging to acheive. We'll have to see how it all pans out.
Other than work, life is going swell. I am digging the stable state my life has been in for the past few months. The whole adventure of senior year was great, but I am incredibly glad it is over. Whoever said college was the best years of their life was selling themself short. There is so much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment